Saturday, July 5, 2014

Guilty Pleasures

I talk a lot about how hard motherhood can be and what a spiritual discipline it is for me. But lately I've been feeling guilty. Actually, I've been feeling really happy and... um... enjoying myself. I care for my 2 boys and work a part-time job from home. Still, last week I managed to sunbathe at noon, work out almost every day, lunch with a friend, and stroll the aisles at Target. I'm in an insanely good mood from the amount of sunlight and warmth I've snuck into my days through eating popsicles on the back porch with my toddler and turning him lose on his orange bike at the elementary school track while baby Leo and I walk laps.

Lately I've been thinking, this gig has to be up soon. This is too easy. This is too fun.

This is how life is right now. This is how I thrive--with manageable doses of meaningful work, simple pleasures, and plenty of  margin to welcome the unexpected. How, then, have I come to view this pace as not enough, self-indulgent, and even lazy?

What kind of respectable person has time for on-the-fly play dates and the freedom to sunbathe at noon on a Tuesday?

Is it possible that this pace of life has some sort of merit? When I think about the difficulties that the rest of the world is struggling with--hunger, war, basic survival--I think I have no right to live the way I live. But at the same time, I feel presence and empathy more readily. When I'm not consumed with my own basic survival, I'm a better mom and more conscious traveler upon this earth.

I've also been watching my kids and how innocent and free they are when they're consumed with play and exploration. Isn't that the goal we're all trying to achieve? To get back to that pure innocence and enjoyment of life?

I don't know the answer right now, but I feel like I'm stumbling onto something with my current pace of life. Yes, I feel guilty, but I also feel hopeful that this life might give way to something more meaningful and impactful than I could ever have imagined.

3 comments:

ce8d632a-647c-11e3-94d3-000bcdcb2996 said...

Are you interested in attaining enlightenment and personal growth?

Try doing the following two yoga exercises daily:

Sodarshan Kriya
http://anmolmehta.com/blog/2007/03/29/3-most-powerful-yoga-pranayamas-and-kriyas-part-1/

Sat Nam Kriya
http://anmolmehta.com/blog/2008/06/11/tantra-yoga-technique-tantric-sex/


Are you interested in preventing and curing cancer, Alzheimer's, high blood pressure, and many other common diseases using an inexpensive, natural indian spice called turmeric?

Take two teaspoons full of turmeric powder mixed with a cup of warm soy milk (or any kind of non-diary milk that you'd like). Also eat 2 or 3 black peppercorns along with it, as the pepper helps your body absorb the turmeric better. You also need fat for the turmeric to be absorbed properly, which is why drinking turmeric mixed in water won't work. You have to drink it with milk or some fatty based liquid. Do this twice a day and you will start to feel amazing within a few days.


Lastly, please read the following two ancient indian scriptures which talk about the divine love of God:

Ananda Vrindavan Campu PDF
http://www.mediafire.com/view/0bqow2mvcifoui3/Ananda_Vmdavana_Campu.pdf

Govinda Lilamrta PDF
http://www.mediafire.com/view/r1ws314gg5toij2/Govinda_Lilamrita.pdf

Jake Cam - ISHAR said...

This is Jake, on behalf of Deepak Chopra and team, thank your for creating an online place where people are exposed to natural healing and healthy living methods. With you, awareness and healing techniques will grow, impacting the lives of millions of people for the betterment of humanity.

The purpose of this comment is to invite you, especially on September 15th, to stand up with Deepak Chopra and team, for alternative medicine and its academic research, in order to help you and your community. It’s very easy to participate…

On September 15th, we are creating an indiegogo campaign for ISHAR (Integrative Studies Historical Archive and Repository)

We invite you to be apart of creating the future for holistic medicine. There is no financial obligation, simply help us create awareness..

If you are interested email us back: jake.camarena@isharonline.org

thanks so much,

Jake Camarena
ISHAR





photo
Jake Camarena
Strategic Operations, ISHAR
| e:jake.camarena@isharonline.org | w:http://www.isharonline.org

David James said...

Meditation Yoga Pranayama and Spiritual Retreats in Europe and UK
Very beginning Tao meditation and simply pranayama for stress relief, limitation or a blockades that can hold back non-problematic and simply totally full inhaling may very well be found. Utilization of easy to be trained styles which include lamination stimulation, an physician finds out release a an restrictions or a blockades and so the precise inhaling transforms sleeker.