Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Mother's Day Act of Courage

This is for the moms. You know who you are.

You ate half a bag of chocolate chips last night after the kids went to bed.

You worked out so hard last Monday that you couldn't stand up and walk to the childcare center to pick up your 5 month old.

You haven't had a solid night's sleep in 2 years. You haven't had sweets in 2 weeks.

You lost your mind when you lost your mom, but you go on, determined to find your beautiful, messy way.

You pushed a baby out with nothing to numb the pain but water and breath.

You're a physician. You can fit 2 fingers between the gap in your abdomen muscles, and it kills you.

Your second baby is due Saturday, and today you wore your bikini to let your belly soak up the sun and play in the splash pool with your toddler. You hate your thighs.

This is for the 50-year-old mom who looks back at pictures of her 30-something year old postpartum body and says "Damn, I looked good, and I didn't even know it."

This is for my husband, my neighbors, and even Facebook. Judge me, envy me, approve of me, ridicule me, turn your head...whatever.

This is for the moms, and this is for me.

 
And I have this vision. What if all the moms dared to bare their bellies? What if instead of going to websites with pictures of strangers baring their postpartum bodies, we could see each other happy and comfortable in our own skin at whatever stage of motherhood in which we find ourselves.
 
I know, there's modesty. There's cultural norms. But today there was the sun, and a cookout on my back porch, and an invitation to don my bikini. And so, I got inspired. I got comfortable. I got bold. Care to join me?


4 comments:

Amanda Landis-Hanna said...

I love this post, and I love you. Thank you for being brave, and beautiful, and showing your lovely spirit. Thank you for wearing a bikini, and for listening when your friends (ahem...) freak out about little things (belly) and big things (missing my mom). And that you for being you...a wonderful friend and mama. Happy Mother's Day.

Melissa Garvey said...

Thanks, Amanda! :-) I'm so glad to have you as a friend.

Heather said...

Hi Melissa! I'm Heather and I was hoping you could answer my question I have about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

David James said...

Tao Meditation Yoga Pranayama and Spiritual Retreats in UK meditation but also pranayama for stress relief, limit or possibly a blockages that a majority of impede consistent but also satisfied breathing in should be stumbled upon. Using only an easy task to uncover out resources including careful robotic massage, some of the teacher finds to secrete some of the restrictions or possibly a blockages hence the dedicated breathing in will soft.