Thursday, September 12, 2013

Rediscovering Connectedness with an Everyday Altar

In my early 20s I did a lot of foo-foo stuff. I was in search of my spiritual foundation, and I regularly veered from schedules and to-do lists to do things like make a collage of meaningful words and pictures from old magazines, write poems and place them on special paper in a 3-ring binder, and hang inspirational materials on my dorm room wall.

Adulthood has progressively squeezed most of those old activities out of my daily life. Instead I sit with my toddler while he tries to pee-pee on the potty, attend the occasional conference call, slip in a few hours of writing and editing for pay, and do the other normal, everyday things that keep household life running decently.

Last week I returned home from a 2-week Florida vacation spent visiting family. As I unpacked my suitcase I paused when I got to the birthday card from my moms. Usually I toss greeting cards, or at most place them on a flat surface until enough time has gone by that I can toss them without feeling guilty. For some reason I put this card on a ledge beside my bathroom sink.

The next evening I got to indulge in a shower by myself while Matt played with Cameron downstairs. As I began the post-shower routine of brushing hair and slathering lotion, the card caught my eye. It was a physical reminder of my connection with my moms more than 600 miles away. I looked at the rest of the blank tiled space on the ledge and considered the potential.

In short, I discovered a space of my own that I visit every day (some days longer than others!) that I can turn into a space for foo-foo things that remind me of my connectedness—with my family, my values, my inspirations, and the everyday divine that permeates my life.

I think what I have is the start of an everyday altar and the return of the all-important foo-foo in my daily life.